November 6, 2013

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): BP of Even If Nobody Reads This


It was through her blog Even If Nobody Reads This that I discovered BP who describes herself as an “every girl”—“a big cheerleader for those who live joyfully, a supporter of those who seek change, and a fan of those who live each day with intent, thought, and heart.” Her down-to-earth voice, flowing through her blog posts about navigating the currents of living, appealed a lot to me. She can be found on Twitter: @blogger_bp.

Why did you create a Website of regular entries?
I wanted a venue that would allow me to get used to writing on a computer and not just in my journal (collection below). I also knew that, at some point, I would want to share some of my musings with trusted friends and people who may ‘get’ me. Mostly, my blog is a place for me to practice being a writer, even if nobody reads this, hence the name of my blog.



What Web-based solution did you select and why?
I use Blogger, because it’s hooked up to my Google account. Frankly, I don’t know how to use anything else and am trying to break out into something with more design and interesting layouts, but am overwhelmed with indecision. My blog is all narrative for now. Anyone willing to help me out?

What is your definition of a good blog
and what are three good blogs that you frequently visit?
There are many blogs I enjoy out there covering a wide range of topics. My definition of a good blog is one that draws me in to become a part of that world or culture. Fantasy is not so important. I certainly want the content to be aspirational, but relatable. If the blogger seems naturally in his or her element (convincing and unforced), I think the blog is successful. Integrating a strong aesthetic sense and having a recognizable and unique voice that is thoughtfully executed convinces me that he or she is actually writing the text, putting together the outfits, enjoying styling the rooms, cooking the dishes, and naturally can put together the crafts. Three passionate, professional bloggers who to me, do all these things are Garance Dore, Jennifer Cooper, and Lori Baltazar.



How do you create content for your blog?
I literally start typing (workspace above). That’s it. Usually it’ll turn from one idea into three others, then I need to break it up or start something new. I don’t have themes that I hit on a calendar. I just go with what feels right to get out of my head at the moment I am sitting down. Admittedly, during some harder times, I lack the emotional bandwidth to keep up with two weekly posts, but I am working on being more disciplined. I search for free images that will accurately illustrate what I am writing about, and from there I link thoughts together. I only publish a post if after reading it over, it feels like something I’d want to read anyway, whether or not I wrote it myself.

How do you stay organized and motivated
to contribute to your blog?
I always feel a physical rush when I hit “publish.” I stay motivated by remembering that I am putting out things that I myself would want to read. It is motivating to get feedback via text or email or comments from friends or others who connect with what I am saying. In the end, that is why I blog: to provide a connection with readers, and to be able to express myself regularly. I find, as of late, that my words are not alive unless I put them out there.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed
of regular thoughts and/or images, what is your advice?
My advice is to not compare what motivates you to blog, or post images with what motivates others. We are all coming from a different place with our own intentions and coming from that place in the most sincere way is what will make your site truly yours. If you keep thinking you want to do it, you just should. There is no better time than now. There is an audience for everyone.



What is your quest in blogging?
To start a conversation with another person regardless of her (or his) age, culture, relationship status, professional inclinations, family life or lack thereof. My blog is about simple topics that concern us all, both deep and shallow, but always real and relevant in some way. My quest in blogging is to find a way for my voice and humor to be useful out there. Some day, I would like to feel that my blog and what I have to share contributes in a positive way to the way people think, feel, and connect with themselves.

• • •

Photographs courtesy of BP.

• • •

Typeface of quote is Bembo, originally designed by Francesco Griffo (circa 1495) and redesigned by Stanley Morison (1929).

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.